Sunday, October 19, 2008

The Right Immigration Policy...

I'm taking a course titled 'Public Policy and Labor Markets' for my masters, which I'll happily be done with in two weeks (the class and my masters!). There was an interesting set of readings this week, all dealing with immigration and whether or not our system needs reform. Reform from what you ask?

Well, it turns out that in the 1960s, we (JFK) "de-regulated" immigration because we didn't want to offend anyone but not allowing certain groups. In the process, the quality of immigrants quickly dropped and you get the situation we have today. Before you jump to conclusions, I'm not passing judgement on our most populous immigrants, Mexicans. I think that their labor fits into our economic system, particularly the service industry. Without them, the quality of life for the middle class of our country wouldn't be where it is today (Listen, I know that there are problems with the economy, but the only ones affecting me are high gas prices and maybe higher grocery prices. I'll get into this in another post, down the road though. I did offer up my quick fix here though). However, there exist certain issues that crop up, particulary their drain on our social welfare system, for which the illegals don't contribute a dime to. That is my problem. Period.

If Obama insists that we all have to contribute to our social collective, then I think immigrants, illegal or not, need to contribute as well. Of course, I also feel that we should all be contributing at the same rate, but I'm getting off topic. I'll leave you with one of the readings from this week.

The Right Immigration Policy by Steven Malanga
http://www.city-journal.org/html/16_4_immigration_policy.html

What do you think? Should we be selective regarding what type of immigrant we legally let in or should it be first come, first serve?

No comments:

Creative Commons License
Everything that is a work of someone else is subject to their rules. Anything that is a creation of mine is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.